Weight Loss

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Change in Plan

Okay, so I haven't lost any weight in the past week, but I have learned something very important: I have to change the way I'm doing this. I can no longer think of this as a weight loss plan, because if it's a weight loss plan, then I'm allowed to sneak things in and make up for them later. Only later never comes. So, I'm no longer going to be dealing with the Battle of the Bulge, but rather it's going to be a Fight Against Food.

Food may not the be enemy in general, but it's my enemy, the one I love and hate. I know the main cause of my being overweight is food, not lack of exercise, and I know that because I have been anything but inactive this week and still did not lose a pound, or even part of a pound. I did not exercise as much as I wanted or as much as I could have, but still, I truly don't think my problem is exercise. My problem is food, so I have to focus on that.

So, my new plan is to reward myself based on how well I eat in combination with the weight I lose, with more emphasis on the food. I'm going to 'grade' myself on how well I'm eating, based on the number of calories I consume. At the end of the week I'll give myself one grade for the weight I have or haven't lost. Then I'll average all 8 grades to come up with my grade for the week, then I'll reward myself based on that grade. I know that this doesn't necessarily mean that I'll be eating the best way I can according to the food pyramid and such, but I think it will mean that I'll lose weight, since weight loss is based on calories in vs. calories out. Now, my reward is going to be a monetary reward to myself, which I can spend at any time, or save until I can buy something I really want. So here are the grading scales:

Food
A 1200-1300 Calories
B 1301-1400 Calories
C 1401-1500 Calories
D 1501-1600 Calories
F 1601 Calories and above

Weight Loss
A 2.0 lbs
B 1.5 lbs
C 1.0 lbs
D .5 lbs
F 0 lbs or weight gain

Reward
A $10.00
B $7.50
C $5.00
D $1.50
F $0.00

This system will also force me to keep track of the food I'm eating so I'll know what grade to award myself at the end of the day. That's supposed to help, so we'll see if it works.

No comments: